[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: run-1.1.11-1

Fri Aug 14 16:36:00 GMT 2009

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Isn't just creating the process with SW_HIDE good enough?

In general, no -- because run already does that.  I'm sure that was one
of the very first things the earliest implementations of run did
(actually, a quick glance says that's the only thing run-1.1.3 did to
make the console hidden).  The other stuff was added as it was
discovered that SW_HIDE just didn't always do (what it obviously ought to).

For more details, I'll have to do more code archeology, and STMLA.

I plan to add 'run' to the cygwin-apps repository [*], and track at
least the old major releases as separate checkins to facilitate this
sort of investigation (right now I've got run-1.10 and above tracked in
a local git repo).

[*] at least as far back as run-1.1.3, which is the earliest version I
can find, buried in an old X-startup-scripts from the Cygwin Time
Machine [**].  What's interesting is that 1.1.3 was developed on B19.
1.1.4 had changes to support B20.1, and is the oldest version still
available at its original home (my cygutils website, also hosted by
Peter's CTM site).  I can no longer find run-1.0.0, 1.1.1, or 1.1.2;
that was four or five computers ago.

[**] It looks like, when Harold Hunt imported the run utility into his
X-startup-scripts package in 2004, that he did not use the most recent
version available at that time.

--
Chuck