How to install-libLTLIBRARIES dll to bin?

Sun Aug 9 17:38:00 GMT 2009

On 09/08/2009 08:48, Charles Wilson wrote:
> Your patch does basically what Dave's horrible hack did, except his also
> works if you're installing somewhere other than under THE libdir. His
> patch "walks" up the directory tree from the .la file location, until it
> finds a great-uncle ../../../bin directory.

I considered such an approach, but what happens if you a prefix that
doesn't yet exist on the system?  AFAICS you would have the library in
$my_new_prefix/lib and the DLL in /bin, which doesn't seem quite right.

Shared libraries should be, and generally are, in or under $prefix/lib.
  The only way I see my patch not helping is if the library is in or
under $libexecdir AND --libexecdir is set to something other than
$prefix/lib (like the GNU default $prefix/libexec).  But IMHO that would
be a problem with the package in question.

> This part is messy -- and unnecessary for the intended use case. In gcc,
> all you need to do is explicitly modify the Makefile.am's to pass the
> necessary option. You don't need to do anything to automake or
> libtoolize, AFAICT.

But how would you make a patch in a form that would be accepted upstream?

> Which brings me to my question: Yaakov, what is the use case you have
> for this functionality?  Something other than gcc?

I have three cases where non-module libtool libraries are installed into
a subdir of $prefix/lib:

* evolution: libraries under $libdir/evolution/$MAJOR.$MINOR

* mysql: libraries under $libdir/mysql

* libffi-3.0: usually under $prefix/lib, but I move the library under
$prefix/lib/libffi/lib so that it's not grabbed accidentally instead of
gcc's libffi (just like the headers are by default under
$prefix/lib/libffi/include).

Yaakov