mintty doesn't run on NT4 due to lack of GetConsoleWindow

Ralph Hempel rhempel@bmts.com
Thu Aug 6 17:19:00 GMT 2009

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>> (And to be honest I don't see the point in Cygwin 1.7 still supporting
>> NT4. Anyone willing to stick with an OS that's been unsupported for
>> five years should be more than happy to stick with Cygwin 1.5.)
>
> I know it's unsupported but people still use it and, perhaps more
> unimportantly, it really is a pretty nice OS.  The UI isn't bad and it's
> pretty responsive.  So, I guess it's a "would be nice".  I also noted
> yesterday that X doesn't work there due to an illegal instruction.  I don't
> exactly understand why that is yet.

Not to be too OT, but I remember getting demos of NT back in the days
of 90 MHz Pentium machines and being very unimpressed.

I run Win2K on a VM under XP on a laptop and it's really fast.

Maybe the hardware has finally caught up to the software :-)

Ralph