[1.7] Issue with fg and bg commands

David Harris davehrrs@gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 04:54:00 GMT 2009

Hi,

When I start a command in the background, and then use the fg and bg
commands from bash I obtain dome weird results.

For instance, generating a simple background task works as expected.

h@Dad ~
$ while (( 0 == 0 )); do date >> 1.7.tttt; done&
[1] 2256

If I foreground the task I "loose" the prompt as expected

h@Dad ~
$ fg
while (( 0 == 0 )); do
    date >> 1.7.tttt;
done

If I type control-z I have control of the console as expected.

[1]+  Stopped                 while (( 0 == 0 )); do
    date >> 1.7.tttt;
done

If I then restart the task using the fg command I get the prompt back.
This is not as expected.

h@Dad ~
$ fg
while (( 0 == 0 )); do
    date >> 1.7.tttt;
done

h@Dad ~
$

Furthermore the tail command shows that the process is now executing!!!

David

PS Thanks for the best tool for Unix developers who have to work in a
windows environment.

--

davehrrs@gmail.com

David Harris