1.5.25-15: git 1.6.1.2: fatal error during initial commit under Win98SE

Eric Blake ebb9@byu.net
Wed Apr 29 14:47:00 GMT 2009

Alexey Lyubimov <alexeipobox <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> $ git commit -m "initial revision"
> fatal: Out of memory? mmap failed: Permission denied
>
> Can anybody help me (or, at least, explain)?

Your problem is that Win98 is unsupported by Microsoft, and soon to be
unsupported by cygwin.  I built the cygwin package of git assuming that you
would be using a saner filesystem (in other words, the version of git that
ships from cygwin.com assumes NTFS, which Win98 does not support); as a result,
you have proven that my assumptions break on Win98.  In order to run git on
this old of a platform, you will have to compile it from source yourself, and
where I commented out the "NO_MMAP = YesPlease" line in git's Makefile, you
will have to leave that line in effect.  Sorry, I'm not too keen on bending
over backwards to support an obsolete system that I no longer have access to,
which means I can't debug your problem.

--
Eric Blake
volunteer cygwin git maintainer