Updated: rxvt-20050409-10

Fri Apr 24 18:06:00 GMT 2009

Thomas Wolff wrote:

>> o Restore Alt-Space behavior (e.g. pass thru to windows, to
>>   allow access to Minimize/Maximze/Restore menu). Reported
>>   by Davide Dente.
> I'm not sure whether this is appreciable. Wouldn't users of a terminal
> from the Unix world like to retain its features and want to have
> Alt-space available? I personally use it. Can you make this an option?

It is possible, but it won't happen immediately. (Faster with
patches...) What switch would you suggest? -bs and -sb are both already
used... Maybe a long-only option? --unix-alt-space (or, perhaps,
--win32-alt-space)?

> Also (I know I asked this already 1 or 2 years ago...) do you see
> any chance now to combine the stand-alone feature (libW11...) with
> rxvt-unicode? (Maybe it's a new challenge for someone now that cygwin
> introduced native Unicode support)

It would need more work -- a lot more work -- on libW11.  I made an
abortive attempt a few years back:
ITP: libW11
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2006-03/msg00120.html

as part of my diabolical plan, described here:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2006-03/msg00122.html

IMO, the addition of unicode features to cygwin doesn't assist (much) in
making rxvt-unicode run in non-X mode, because rxvt-unicode uses a LOT
more of xlib that plain rxvt does, above and beyond the unicode stuff
(which is normally provided by libc, or in this case, cygwin1.dll).

So, that's not going to happen any time soon. I do have a number of
ideas to improve checkX (e.g. adding a launcher functionality similar to
run.exe that switch-hits depending on whether X is detected) and I plan
to release a new checkX with those features soon.  That is (one of) the
necessary pre-conditions for my "diabolical plan", so...we're getting
there.  Veeery sloooowly. It's obviously not my highest priority. <g>)

--
Chuck