setup.exe won't update

Gary Johnson garyjohn@spk.agilent.com
Tue Oct 21 04:35:00 GMT 2008


On 2008-10-08, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> Gary Johnson wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> I did some searching for setup.exe debug hints and found out about 
>> /var/log/setup.log.full, so I've attached a copy of that.  I also looked 
>> in /etc/setup for any clues that might be there.  The installed.db file 
>> includes the line,
>>
>>    grep grep-2.5.1a-4.tar.bz2 0
>>
>> and the <Local Package Directory>/<server>/setup.ini files all contain 
>> "install:" lines for grep like this one:
>>
>>    install: release/grep/grep-2.5.1a-4.tar.bz2 154056 790070ff3cbf093d2c54796a5b0e3f2e
>>
>> The final digit after the - varies, but all are version 2.5.1a.  The 
>> latest package is grep-2.5.3-1.  (I'm just using grep as an example.)
>>
>> So does any of that help explain what's going on?  Is there any other 
>> information I can provide?
>
> Do the other machines that used the same mirrors to update successfully
> also use IE5 settings?

At least one doesn't.  I forgot to check the other one before I left 
work.

> Is the machine that's having problems using caching?

I don't know.  What sort of caching do you mean?

> There's obviously something different about that machine.
> 'setup.exe' may be tripping over the difference or it may just be
> telling you what it knows because of system shenanigans.  If you can
> rule out something interfering, try getting rid of the local 'setup.ini'
> files and running 'setup.exe' again.  Clearly, the files you have are
> old.  Removing them out should help 'setup.exe'.  But without knowing
> why the old ones aren't getting overwritten with the new ones, any
> victory may be short-lived.

On the troublesome machine, I changed from "Use IE Settings" to 
"Direct Connection", which is used by one of the other machines that 
works.  I also changed the server to ftp://cygwin.osuosl.org, also 
used that same working machine.  Then I renamed the "packages" 
directory to get all that history out of the way.  I also saved 
copies of set.log and setup.log.full, and an "ls -l" of /etc/setup, 
for whatever good that might do.

Finally, I ran setup.exe with those changes.  As expected, it listed 
a whole bunch of packages needing updates, including the grep and 
vim packages I knew about.  I ran it to completion with no problems 
other than having to stop my cygrunsrv processes.  It seems to be 
working fine now.  Now we just have to wait for another update to 
some package I have and see if setup.exe recognizes the need to 
download it.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Gary


--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/



More information about the Cygwin mailing list