Problem to open big selfextracting Zip files from bash - starting from scratch :-)

Dirk Napierala Dirk.Napierala@oracle.com
Fri Oct 10 08:01:00 GMT 2008

Christopher Faylor schrieb:

>>> This is getting old.  Rather than repeatedly apologize for
>>> theoretically not reading a response, go back through the responses and
>>> make sure of the fact yourself.
>>>
>>> I think that where it stands right now is that no one has a 1.5G
>>> self-extracting zip file to play with to confirm or deny your findings.
>>>
>>> If this is vitally important, you might consider purchasing a support
>>> contract with Red Hat.
>>>
>> Thats what I did, and I did not found a reply to my findings which I
>> stated in http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2008-09/msg00545.html together
>> with the requested files which allows trobleshooting.....
>>

> Yes.  Sometimes that happens.  People stop responding.  Maybe we have no
> further insight or maybe we got tired of your inability/reluctance to
> perform all of the tests that we were asking for.

Please keep affable without telling me that I´m inability/reluctance.
This is not the way people should talk
to each other. Thank you.

>> It is nailed down to the cygwin1.dll
>>

> While it is interesting that you were able to narrow it down to a DLL,
> there were too many changes between the two versions that you found for
> this to be a useful debugging technique.

Well maybe I'm not a good problem debugger. Thats why I'm seeking help here.
My thought was when I change one part of something and after that change
something else did not work
anymore that I got a good hint for what may cause the problem.
And as this change was just the dll version my guess was that this
information would be helpful.
>> I assume that it should not be a big deal for someone who is a
>> developer to create such a SFX file on its own for testing.
>>

> Interesting assumption.

;-) lets keep on smiling ;-)

>> If it is a problem, I can provide the original file causing the problem
>> to a location of your choice.  If you do not have free space avail to
>> allow me put the file to, please let me know and reply to my company
>> mail address.  I will than put it on our ftp server and make it avail
>> for your eyes only.  You may understand that this is company
>> confidential.
>>

> This is more work than I, personally, am able to take on.  That's why I
> suggested investigating a support contract.

Understand.
> As I mentioned early on, even if this was determined to be a problem in
> Cygwin 1.5.x, we're not going to release a new version of the 1.5 series
> so it isn't clear how you'd proceed even if we did find a solution.

The problem is also when we try 1.7.