Cygwin bash

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Tue Oct 7 16:25:00 GMT 2008

John Emmas wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Chicares"
> Subject: Re: Cygwin bash
>>
>> You can configure size and colors in the "Properties" dialog.
> Thanks for the tip, Greg.  Just setting a bigger font has improved
> matters enormously..!
>
> Also, I discovered along the way that even the existing, DOS-like
> terminal does offer text pasting.  All you need to do is copy some
> text to the Windows clipboard, then click the Cygwin icon (top left of
> the console window), then simply, Edit->Paste.  voila..!
A couple of additional tips - Next to the Edit: Copy there's the word
"Enter". This means that you can select text then simply hit Enter and
it will be in the clipboard. Also, you can right click to paste.

However... The copy semantics are weird. Select a few lines starting
from the middle of some line and you'll quickly see that the copy
selection box is just that - a box! Not normally what you want. Normally
you want it such that if you click on line 1 col 12 and drag to line 2
col 40 you get all the characters on line 1 from col 12 -> the end of
that line, then line 2 from col 1 -> col 40. I call this line mode
selection as opposed to box mode select. I usually want line mode.

This is something that rxvt does for you - regular line mode selection.
Additionally no enter required - it's automatically put in the cut
buffer upon completion of the selection.

Pasting in rxvt is not hooked up to right click or middle click however
I just tend to use Shift-Insert, the keyboard equivalent, when I want to
paste.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Attempt to get a new car for your spouse-it'll be a great trade!