install assumes.exe extension?

Ralph Hempel rhempel@bmts.com
Tue Oct 7 13:44:00 GMT 2008

DePriest, Jason R. wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:34 PM, Ralph Hempel <> wrote:
>> I'd just like to clear up some confusion on my part
>> about "install" as distributed with Cygwin.

<SNIP>

> Does this help?
> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#id318321

Yes, but then this part confuses me again...

   Unfortunately, the install and strip commands do distinguish
   between filename and filename.exe. They fail when working on
   a non-existing filename even if filename.exe exists, thus
   breaking some makefiles. This problem can be solved by writing
   install and strip shell scripts to provide the extension ".exe"
   when needed.

Maybe I'm dense, but the way I'm reading this paragraph is that it
should fail under the scenario I was describing.

1. lua.exe exists in the source dir
2. lua does not exist in the source dir
3. install copies lua.exe to the destination dir and renames it lua

Ralph