Run OpenSSH service with Local System Account

Fri Nov 21 10:20:00 GMT 2008

William Zhang wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Sorry i hit the send button by mistake before I finished the last
> mail. This is my
> full question.
>
> I am wondering if there is a way to run the Cygwin OpenSSH service as
> Local System Account in Windows 2003 and 2008 instead of the
> cyg_server account created during the setup.   I am using
> Cygwin+OpenSSH on the Windows test server and I remotely execute
> automation testing script from a linux box. However the program
> running on the Windows server is a Windows GUI based program and has some
> dialog box pop up at some time during the test.  Since running the SSH
> service with cyg_server account does not allow the program to interact
> with desktop, the test program will stop in the middle of the
> automation test.   If it allow me to running the SSH service with
> Local System Account, I can enable the "allow the service to interact
> with desktop" option and my problem should be solved.

Why do you believe that you can set this Local System Account to interact
with the desktop but not cyg_server?

> I understand
> there is purpose to create an account with special privileges as the
> setup says:
>
> "*** Info: You appear to be running Windows 2003 Server or later.  On 2003 and
> *** Info: later systems, it's not possible to use the LocalSystem account
> *** Info: for services that can change the user id without an explicit password
> *** Info: (such as passwordless logins [e.g. public key
> authentication] via sshd).
>
> *** Info: If you want to enable that functionality, it's required to
> create a new
> *** Info: account with special privileges (unless a similar account
> already exists).
> *** Info: This account is then used to run these special servers.
>
> it say if I want to enable that functionality i need create one....
> but I really don't care any security, password..
> so I answer no to that question and installed the open ssh with local
> system account  and the service can run
> but the client can not log into the system.

By this you mean specifically what?  Perhaps you should provide the
output you get and/or you should run 'ssh -v -v -v' to get some insight
as to where it chokes.

> Is there any configuration I can poke around to make it work with
> local system account?

If you don't care about using pubkey authetication and are fine with
typing in your Windows password each time you invoke 'ssh', you should
be able to use the Local System Account.

Holliston, MA 01746