1.7 - noacl for cygdrive

Richard Ivarson RiIvarson@gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 17:21:00 GMT 2008

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
[..]
>> Yes, Rob meant for us RSYNC users: set CYGWIN=NONTSEC
>> ... because NTSEC (the default) causes much trouble with the NT permissions
>> on RSYNC'ed files. A web search shows that _many_ people run into these
>> problems. So maybe for RSYNC the default NTSEC isn't a good idea. I'm on
>> edge how Cygwin 1.7 solves or rather handles this problem.
>
> For rsync ntsec is a good idea, imho.  Your scenario isn't my scenario.
> I *want* permissions which reflect POSIX permissions closely.  I don't
> care for Windows default permissions.  Lately we have lots of people
> claiming that they use Cygwin tools in a native Windows environment and
> how being POSIXy is in the way of what they are doing.  Keep in mind
> that the whole idea of Cygwin is to provide a POSIXy environment and the
> default should be as close to POSIX as possible.

These "lots of people" who use Cygwin in Windows-only environments probably
think, like I did, that Cygwin "just" brings a bunch of highly usefuly Unix
like command line tools straight to the comfortable Windows NT/2000/XP
enviroment.
So we Windows coddled users are - or at least I was - under a slightly wrong
impression.

> Using Cygwin in a
> non-POSIXy situation is the border case, not the norm.

I didn't know this motto. I've to confess that I first would have to look up
the exact meaning of POSIX. :-)
Still Cygwin's very useful for us Windows-only environment people. Please
bear with us "luxury users" in Windows-only environments. Maybe you
understand better the problems we experience with our approach to a complex
and useful software which Cygwin is.

> So adapt your settings, but don't expect that it's the default.

Well, I'm happy it is possible to adapt the setting at all.

-Richard