Downloading (parts of) Cygwin for later local install?

Tue Nov 18 08:03:00 GMT 2008

tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> is there an easy way of pre-downloading whatever is necessary to do a
> later local Cygwin install?
>
> Note: the recommended method of using Cygwin itself is not available to
> me, since I only have a GNU/Linux computer on the Net (lucky me ;-)
>
> Wgetting all of <http://cygwin.com/packages/> would seem a tad wasteful
> to me (plus I don't know whether the cygwin installer does any "magical
> munging" on the packages while downloading).

No magic download munging, no.  'wget' will work and is the recommmended
approach if what you want is a mirror.

> I trolled the lists and the FAQ, but I seem to be moving in circles.

The FAQ doesn't like trolls. ;-)

<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-net.html#id314711>

Holliston, MA 01746