MS or cygwin dll debug tools/ was "sys/sockio.h" etc.

Spiro Trikaliotis an-cygwin@spiro.trikaliotis.net
Wed May 28 19:39:00 GMT 2008

Hello,

* On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 10:15:05AM -0400 Mike Marchywka wrote:

> Regarding recent comments on dll problems and understanding cygwin1.dll versus msvcrt,
> I was curious to know if anyone has used these ( free? ) MS tools or has comments on competing
> products?
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc267862.aspx
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx

These a free in the sense that you do not have to pay to use them.
Additionally, you can get in contact with users and even some of the
developers on the Usenet (news:microsoft.public.windbg).

I use WinDBG rather frequently, and I like it very much. However, I must
tell you that I mainly use it for kernel-mode debugging. The Symbol
Server allows you to put the debugging symbols on a server. You can even
have a history of them; that is, for ever version of the executables you
give to customers (or to others), you put the symbols on the server.

If you get a crash dump afterwards from someone, WinDBG automatically
determines the right symbols. If you have also set up the source server,
it even gets the right sources out of your source control system. This
is very handy.

Note, however, that this mechanism relies on .PDB files for the
debugging information (I think the old-style .SYM work, also, but I have
not tested it). I never tried to use this with Cygwin or Mingw, however.

Regards,
Spiro.

--
Spiro R. Trikaliotis                              http://opencbm.sf.net/