cygwin1.dll incluson in Cygwin makefile

Paul Newell pnewell@cs.cmu.edu
Tue May 27 06:17:00 GMT 2008

Christopher:

Thanks for the very prompt reply. I tried both and they worked as
expected. I was expecting  the opening quote to match to the closing
just like I had issued it in dos in a cmd window (where cmd /c dir "c:\"
works as expected). Regardless, thanks for straightening me out on this.

I thought I checked /cygdrive and found them empty (though mount said
otherwise). Given how long it took the "ls /cygdrive" to come back with
something, I guess I might have controlC-ed out. I notice that cmd /c
dir from the "/" gives me what I would expect, but cmd /c dir \cygdrive
doesn't show me the c and f drive, so I just got confused as I wasn't
looking the right way. As in your paragraph about "still missing the point"

I agree that I'm looking at it the wrong way given moving legacy Windows
code under Borland over to Cygwin. And this thread is proving to be a
good way to learn just how wrong it is. That being said, I probably
wouldn't "get it" without going through the exercise  ... failure is a
great and humbling teacher.

Once again, thanks to you and Brian for the help,
Paul