compile problems on cygwin

R P Herrold herrold@owlriver.com
Fri May 16 20:31:00 GMT 2008

The tarball at the perma-link:
    ftp://ftp.trading-shim.org/pub/local/trading-shim/attic/shim-080411.tgz
is exposing a Cygwin macro definition failure to #undef,
with the test which Bill outlines herein.  I provide a copy
to the Cygwin reporting address.

On Fri, 16 May 2008, Bill Pippin wrote:

> It's entirely possible that the problems you refer to are caused by
> macros defined in various cygwin-specific headers.

> If the problem is indeed caused by earlier macro defs, running the
> preprocessor on the text and comparing the result with the original
> header may help you identify the name.  Once you have that, a simple
> undef will probably solve the problem.

> You might want to start by trying to compile a simple, one-line test.c
> file of the form:
>
> #include "glossary.h"

Yup -- I have replicated it locally, when I hit Bill's email.
I get (in ./src. on an unpacked tarball):

$ g++ rph_test.c
In file included from glossary.h:48,
                  from rph-test.c:1:
functional.h:213: error: expected init-declarator before '&' token
functional.h:213: error: expected `,' or `;' before '&' token
$

This on a Win 2000 box fully updated as of this afternoon,
against the Cygwin distribution mirrors.

And so something in the Cygwin macro def's is not
#undef'ing after itself.    I assume the Cygwin folks know how
they want a bug report and to track this down?

I'll file it in their bug tracker, and track it with them, if
you'll provide a pointer, Gabriel.

I am used to seeing Corinna Vinschen <vinschen@redhat.com>
post update release notices on the cygwin-announcement mailing
list. In his announcements, he requests reports to:
     cygwin@cygwin.com
So I have sought to subscribe there, and file this there, per
the request of those announcemnts.

-- Russ herrold