rxvt in native mode, widely spaced characters [Was: Re: why "Sorry, your message has been denied due to keywords found in your subject"?]

Mon May 12 23:03:00 GMT 2008

Daniel Barclay wrote:

> I still don't understand what's going on with rxvt.
>
> When I modify or remove /etc/defaults/etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt, nothing
> changes.

Correct. Because that is the *default* file (that's why it is underneath
/etc/defaults/).  The actual file used at runtime is over in
/etc/X11/app-defaults/.

> On one hand, that makes sense--I'm not (knowingly) running X11.
>
> On the other hand, it's a little strange that rxvt is still using the
> colors
> given in that file.  Is rxvt getting them from compiled-in values, or is it
> getting them from somewhere else?

It's getting them from /etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt.  rxvt parses the
X11/app-defaults file itself, and does not rely on the Xserver's 'xrdb'
(resource management) to do it.

> (I also terminated all CygWin processes, started bash, and ran rxvt to see
> if CygWin somehow was emulating xrdb's behavior (of reading the X11
> defaults) some
> other way, but there was still no difference.)

Because nothing (that matters) changed. /etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt was
still there, and rxvt itself read the contents.

> In any case, that still leaves unanswered the question of what makes
> rvxt switch
> between normally spaced black characters on a white background vs.
> widely spaced
> yellow on blue.

Hopefully my other message answered this question (and those that
followed which I've snipped out).

--
Chuck