Newbie needs help using mingw with cygwin

Tim Prince TimothyPrince@sbcglobal.net
Tue May 6 02:10:00 GMT 2008

Mark Hanlon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to building Lilypond from source using cygwin (Some parts of the lilypond source have to be changed so that is why I can't download the binary :(
>
> I am using the configure script supplied with Lilypond.
>
> Unfortunately, Lilypond requires GCC 4.0 and above, so I have downloaded a mingw at version 4.1.
> I have changed my Path Environment variable and the etc/profile file to use the mingw version of GCC.
>
> Everything works fine apart from when I run the configure script it is now complaining that it can't find guile and flex.
> When I don't use mingw, it finds them and only complains about the compiler being less than 4.0.
>
> Anyone any ideas what is going on and an idea how to fix it would be lovely.

You're asking for mingw to work as a cygwin compiler, but the run-time
libraries are incompatible.
I'd bet on installing a recent gcc build for cygwin.  If you don't need
g++, you could take pre-built binaries from gfortran wiki. Doesn't the
lilypond maintainer have instructions?