Setting MAKE_MODE breaks make.exe

Francois Colbert fc@dnasoft.com
Wed Mar 5 22:33:00 GMT 2008

Well... setting MAKE_MODE to "win32" also makes the process stop with
the same error message, without even reading the Makefile.  It seems
that only "unix" is accepted, and there's already a "--unix" parameter
that does the same thing.

I'm talking about an already existing Makefile, here.  One that expects
MAKE_MODE to be set to something else than "unix", for its own purpose,
and doesn't care about windows-style paths.

The --unix flag is a much better option, in my opinion, because it makes
"make" depend only on the way it's invoked, instead of relying on
environment variables that can vary greatly from one environment to
another.  Reacting to MAKE_MODE just makes Cygwin's "make" more
different and less useful when porting a development environment to
Windows/Cygwin.

fc