Setup.exe error

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Thu Jun 26 16:22:00 GMT 2008

Paul, Brent S wrote on 26 June 2008 16:32:

>      I downloaded the package Python 2.5.1-2.  I then started to install
> that package but was running another instance of cygwin and had to cancel
> the installation.  I then killed the cygwin window and ran setup.exe to
> try to install Python.  However I get an error that "setup.exe has
> encountered a problem and needs to close." and I can't get past it.  I've
> tried rebooting and even downloaded the Python package a second time, but
> it won't let me install Python.  I'm able to install other packages, just
> not python.  I've tried 5-6 times and it ends the same way each time
> (badly).  Is there any recourse other than removing my entire Cygwin
> installation and then trying again?  I really don't want to do that.

  You have the same problem as in the thread that includes

  This is a known bug: when killed, setup.exe can leave a corrupt .gz-format
listing file behind in /etc/setup.  We've fixed it in cvs, but I'm not sure
off the top of my head whether we've released a new version since the fix
and you must be using an old download of setup.exe, or whether the release
version is still lacking the fix, so if a re-download of setup.exe from the
cygwin.com website doesn't fix it, try the build I left on rapidshare a
while back:

http://rapidshare.com/files/98717404/setup.exe

  (There's a new release of setup.exe in the pipeline, coming Real Soon
Now!)

    cheers,
      DaveK