subversion 1.4.6-1 dies with new cygwin install

David Rothenberger daveroth@acm.org
Wed Jun 18 19:52:00 GMT 2008

On 6/17/2008 11:21 PM, René Berber wrote:
> Brian wrote:
>
>> With a new cygwin install, subversion 1.4.6-1 dies on execution. Under
>> XP, it silently exits. Under Vista, it launches the "This program has
>> stopped working" dialog. This doesn't happen with a machine upgrading
>> its version of cygwin, only on a new install. I've verified this by
>> wiping a cygwin installation where subversion 1.4.6-1 worked and
>> reinstalling cygwin.
>>
>> Perhaps there's a missing dependency with the new package?
>>
>> cygcheck output attached.
>
> Yep, svn has dependencies on expat-0 and expat-1, you only have the later.
>
> Searching the packages, cygexpat-0.dll is either from
> libexpat0/libexpat0-1.95.8-2 or expat/expat-1.95.8-1, and cygexpat-1.dll
> is from libexpat1/libexpat1-2.0.1-1.
>
> Looks like a build glitch more than a missing dependency.

Subversion does not directly depend on cygexpat-0.dll. It depends on
libaprutil1, which depends on cygexpat-0.dll. The problem is not a build
glitch but a problem with the dependencies for libaprutil1, which refer
to expat instead of libexpat0. Corinna has corrected the dependencies
for libaprutil1.

"Gotcha, you snot-necked weenies!"
                 -- Post Bros. Comics