Cygwin Execution Problem

Mark Geisert mark@maxrnd.com
Thu Jun 12 11:35:00 GMT 2008

sunil kumar writes:
> Hi Team,

(This isn't a team, just a mailing list.)

> I downloaded and installed the latest Cygwin from
> site. But after installation while executing Cygwin, i
> got the following error.
>
> "This application has failed to start because
> cygncurses-8.dll was not found, Re-installing the
> application may fix this problem."
>
> What may be the cause?

Let's leave that for later.  Somebody else may chime in
with the answer.  For now:

> After that i downloaded the specified DLL file from
> one site and put it in cygwin\bin folder. After this
> step, i got another problem which is saying that

I wonder which site it was.  But in any case:

> "      7 [main] ? (3880) D:\Cygwin\bin\bash.exe: ***
> fatal error - system shared
> memory version mismatch detected -
> 0x75BE0074/0x8A88009C.

I would suggest reading the following instructions
Cygwin provided you and then performing them:

> This problem is probably due to using incompatible
> versions of the cygwin DLL.
> Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows
> Start->Find/Search facility
> and delete all but the most recent version.  The most
> recent version *should*
> reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on
> which you have
> installed the cygwin distribution.  Rebooting is also
> suggested if you
> are unable to find another cygwin DLL."

There can be only one cygwin1.dll on your system for it
to have any chance of working.  So the first thing to do
is find the "other" cygwin1.dll(s) and get rid of it/them,
by performing the above instructions.

..mark