Extra spaces in text files in cygwin

gmarsha11 gary.marshall@hp.com
Tue Jun 10 23:30:00 GMT 2008

The backticks contain the actual command that I run.

I'm not sure about the file's encoding.  How do I tell?

When I create a new file with vi, I can read the file with no problem.  The
output is normal.

These particular text files that I am working with were created by HP Data
Protector.  I can easily parse and manipulate these files on HPUX servers,
but the Windows servers lack that functionality.  I thought Cygwin would
help with this.

How do I tell what the file's encoding is?