diff: Resource temporarily unavailable

Luke Kendall luke.kendall@cisra.canon.com.au
Tue Jun 10 05:54:00 GMT 2008

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> Luke Kendall wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> We're using a version of Cygwin that's at least a year old.  Someone
>> found today that he can't diff two large files (200MB each) across the
>> network using Cygwin.  The error we get is:
>>
>> $ diff
>> //samba/damita-nobackup/chitra/SWFILES/OIP/RF_Testing/OIP01_SWRF_IO.txt
>> //samba/damita-nobackup/chitra/3F01/OIP/RF_Testing/OIP01_HWRF_IO.txt
>> diff:
>> //samba/damita-nobackup/chitra/SWFILES/OIP/RF_Testing/OIP01_SWRF_IO.txt:
>> Resource temporarily unavailable
>>
>> If we copy the files across the network using Cygwin cp and then diff
>> locally, it does work.
>>
>> I had a look at http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda
>> but I don't think we fall into that situation.
>>
>> I've included a small portion of an strace - is this an interesting
>> bug, or something that's been fixed a while ago?
>
> Why not install a new cygwin (and diff if necessary) package and check it
> out for yourself?  As long as you have the original versions for the
> newer package(s), you can always reinstall them if you don't like what
> you see.

Okay.

<grumble>Now to find a mirror with a complete Cygwin.  Sadly, one must
download the whole Cygwin mirror and then check it, because no mirror
site runs the md5cygchk script I posted here a year or two ago.</grumble>

Hmm, maybe it's not too bad using rsync - we may just be able to fetch
the missing few dozen files.  Hmm, if that does work, we should be able
to automate to rsync from several servers routinely, to construct a
union from several sites that are each >99% complete.

luke