Cygwin DNS lookup utility

cuicui cuicui.oizo@free.fr
Sun Jun 8 17:52:00 GMT 2008

David a écrit :
> The GNU "host" command is a useful DNS lookup utility.
>
> Is the "host" command available in cygwin?
> (Cygwin does not install it by default)
>
> If the "host" utility is available in cygwin, which cygwin package
> should I install to have it?
>
> otherwise, is there are simple "host" alternative in a cygwin package?
> (console application, not a graphical user interface)

You can use the offical Bind "binary kit" for windows:

http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/bind/view/?release=9.5.0

It contains the server side of Bind but also the client utilities (dig,
host, etc.)

You can extract the binaries you interested in and make a personalized
cygwin package called "bindtools" out of it.

Be careful, the "host.exe" and "dig.exe" need some weird other binaries
files such as the *.manifest files (i'm speaking of version 9.4.x, i did
not try 9.5.x yet).

These is the content of my bindtools-9.4.2.tar.bz2 archive:

bin/bindevt.dll
bin/BINDInstall.exe
bin/dig.exe
bin/host.exe