free NFS client for Cygwin and/or support for FUSE?

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Wed Jun 4 17:10:00 GMT 2008

Continuing on that...

Dave Korn schrieb:
> On 31 October 2006 12:47, Brian Dessent wrote:
>
>> Ben Wing wrote:
>
>>> Also, has anyone considered building something like FUSE into Cygwin? ...
>>> The result would be Cygwin-specific, i.e. wouldn't work in non-Cygwin
>>> utilities, but that's OK; the benefit of having such a system would be
>>> so great that it would vastly outdo the trouble of not being able to use
>>> non-Cygwin utils.
>> No doubt that many have *considered* it, but nobody has done it (to my
>> knowledge at least.)
>>
>> If you do it right and make it a real filesystem driver, then you both
>> need the expertise and time to code and test a NT kernel module,
>
>   Yes, of course.  Goes without saying really.
>>   And in order to get any patches
>> of this kind accepted by Cygwin maintainers you'd need to show clear
>> evidence that the presence of all this extra code did not affect
>> performance of the standard filesystem access and path translation.
>> That part of the code tends to be somewhat of a sore spot, due to the
>> fact that it is already complex and easy to break, and a critical path
>> performance-wise.
>
>   I think you worry too much.  The kernel-mode driver would be nicely
> isolated, and we'd just need to add a new fhandler type to interact with it;
> the extra code wouldn't ever be called if not used.

As I understand the issue, we only need to add another fhandler_fuse.cc
to support /dev/fuse and the rest almost compiles out of the box.

sshfs builds fine and for fuse just the kernel driver (=>
fhandler_fuse.cc) and our sys/mount.h headers are quirky.

Rationale: I really want sshfs or shfs or such in user-space without any
ddk .sys involved. A simple ext3 or reiserfs driver can also be built
upon that.

First I though of dynamic /lib/mount-<filesystem>.so loading when an
unknown non-windows device is detected in /etc/fstab.
For other windows fs-devices such as NFS or Samba the specialities in
fhandler_disk_file.cc are probably enough, but using real mount options
and special support seems to a next step.

But with fuse support it would be even easier.
Delegate all non-windows mount types to fhandler_fuse and simply use the
already available fuse filesystems.
No kernel drivers need at all.
--
Reini Urban