Problems with file permissions and cp when running on Vista

Tom Quarendon tom.quarendon@teamwpc.co.uk
Tue Jul 29 07:50:00 GMT 2008

Two issues as I see it.
Firstly, cygwin doesn't appear to pick up that I have write access to
the file README.txt. The getacl output below doesn't list Authenticated
Users. I can't use vi to modify the file, but I can read the file using
cat and so on.

Secondly, cp takes a source file that I can read and copies it to a
target file that I subsequently can't read. This seems inconsistent.
Clearly cygwin is taking notice of the access control list as well as
the posix permissions when doing something like cat, as the README.txt
file has no posix permissions, but I can cat it. However cp doesn't copy
that access control list information so the target file only gets a copy
of the posix permissions.

The file e:\wps2\dev5\README.txt has windows permissions:
Authenticated Users: modify, Read & execute, Read, Write
System : Full control, Modify, Read & execute, Read, Write
Administrators : Full control, Modify, Read & execute, Read, Write
Users : Read & execute, Read

$ type -a cat vi chmod
cat is /usr/bin/cat
cat is /bin/cat