File permissions cygwin install

Sun Jul 20 21:51:00 GMT 2008

Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
>  >
>>> I don't beleieve it is supposed to be this way?
>  >
>> setup.exe creates the files with Windows default permissions. Usually
>> those are determined by the inheritable permissions of the
>> parent directory in which you install the Cygwin directory.
>
>> Setup is a plain Win32 application which doesn't know about POSIX perms.
>
> OK, this is known. But...
>
> Is it supposed to be that way on Cygwin [1]?
>
> Or we can adopt some workaround?
>
> For example on Linux:
>    drwxr-xr-x  3 root root    0 Jul  4 13:52 home
>
> and similar for /lib, /usr...
>
> While on Cygwin:
>    drwxrwxrwx+  3 Administrator  Users 0 Jul  4 13:52 home
>

> It should be at least:
>    drwxr-xr-x  3 Administrator Administrators  0 Jul  4 13:52 home
>

> or not?

Doing so would likely remove the ability that we have now the allows
users pre-create the installation directory with the permissions
they want to have for the entire tree.  So adding the additional
functionality you speak of to 'setup.exe', while possible, comes
with additional costs beyond the obvious (of just implementing
your idea).

Holliston, MA 01746