1.7 constantly accesses floppy drive

Mon Jul 14 17:17:00 GMT 2008

Lee Maschmeyer wrote:
>> OK, so perhaps your problem and the Windows path shown by 'cygcheck'
>> are two
>> different issues.
>
> My problem is _precisely_ the Windows path shown by cygcheck. Everything
> _except_ Cygwin (as shown by cygcheck) is correct as far as I can see.

Actually, you showed me the path that 'bash' has and it contains no
reference to the 'a' drive in any form.  Since you run from a shell,
this is the path that's important.  It may be coincidence or it may
be one externalization of the bug you're seeing but the Windows path
shown by 'cygcheck' has no bearing on the path that the shell sees.
Said another way, if 'cygcheck' has a bug that ends up showing you a
faulty path here, that would have no effect on anything else Cygwin.
So what we've covered so far doesn't provide a clear reason for the
behavior you're seeing.

>> I'm back to not being sure why you're seeing accesses on
>> your floppy drive.  Maybe if you straced a simple operation, you might be
>> able to tell us who, what, when, why, and/or how the floppy drive gets
>> accessed.
>
> Attached is the output of the command:
>
> strace -o strace_ls.log ls 1.7-log.txt
>
> I don't think it tells us anything we didn't know. Cygwin, down under
> the hood, thinks Windows is on a: but all its variables show that it's
> on c:, as do Windows variables.

To me this suggests that there could be a problem with getwinenv() but
I can't say more than that at the moment.

Holliston, MA 01746