Updating cygwin from a remote shell?

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Wed Jul 9 15:56:00 GMT 2008

G.W. Haywood wrote:
>> There is no yum, apt, up2date, etc. You don't need VNC. RDP is
>> already on XP machines. Use rdesktop(1).
> I've been struggling with these same issues for some years. I manage a
> network for a business which is located a few hundred metres away from
> mine, and we use a radio link for the connection between us which
> means there are no connectivity problems. Even so, however, if I use
> rdesktop to connect to their Windows 2000 server and I'm not _very_
> careful how I close down the rdesktop session then the server crashes.
I've never seen this happen at all. By definition, any user application
able to crash a system is a bug. You got a bug there. It should be fixed.
> If there are any tips for a safer way of connecting to a Windows 2000
> server to do routine upgrades of Cygwin and other remote admin that I
> can't do using ssh, I'd be very happy to hear them.
You could try VNC. In my experience RDP is nicer and much faster then
VNC. VNC, however, works on non servers and non XP machines where RDP is
not an option. If VNC likewise caused the server to crash I'd be
surprised. Then again, rdesktop crashing a server is odd. Is it actually
dumping core?
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
If a cow laughed, would milk come out her nose?