chmod permission denied on windows 2008

Steven Hartland killing@multiplay.co.uk
Fri Jul 4 22:23:00 GMT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Hartland"
>> That's weird.  Cygwin always enables the backup and restore privileges
>> if they are available.  The whoami printout in your previous mail
>> shows that the privilege is in the token.  But the above code shows
>> that the AdjustTokenPrivileges() call for the backup and restore
>> rights both fail with ERROR_NOT_ALL_ASSIGNED.  The problem is that
>> there's no indication why it fails.  Per MSDN this should only happen
>> if the privilege is not in the token.
>>
>> Bottom line is, there's nothing Cygwin can do about this.  Did you
>> look into the security event long?  Maybe there's a hint why this
>> fails.
>
> You thought that was weird I just logged onto the box to test and look
> in the security event log and it just started working. No changes
> that I can find have been made, it was even the same cygwin prompt
> from the previous tests. If I find out what caused the change I will
> report back as I have another identical machine left to install.
>
> Very strange, most appreciate your help on this.

Sorry seems I missed one critical element here. I thought I was doing
all the tests under a cygwin prompt but in fact the chown's I was
doing under an ssh'ed prompt. It works under a cygwin prompt on the
desktop but fails when I'm ssh'ed in. So this actually looks like it
may be a problem with ssh under 2008?

I've attached the output from whoami in both cases. A privaledege
missing from the sshd_server user may be? Note: ssh was installed
with a slightly older than latest version of cygwin so if this has
changed to support 2008 recently that could be where my problem lies.

    Regards
    Steve