filenames containing ::, rsync and "file has vanished", ext2fsd being used

Thu Jul 3 03:45:00 GMT 2008

reikred@gmail.com wrote:
> I have a weird problem that I cannot quite wrap my head around.
>
> I'm in cygwin trying to rsync from /e/ to /f/,  using
>
> rsync -Dogx -uav --delete /e/ /f/
>
> I get a LOT of error messages of the type
>
> file has vanished: "/e/usr/share/man/man3/Glib::Error.3pm.gz"
> file has vanished: "/e/usr/share/man/man3/Gtk2::CodeGen.3pm.gz"
> file has vanished: "/e/usr/share/man/man3/Gtk2::Entry.3pm.gz"
>
> If I try to
>
> ls /e/usr/share/man/man3/
>
> then I *also* get lots of error messages that files such as the above
> "do not exist". But of course they do exist, othwerwise ls would not
> know that it should be complaining about them :). There is a whole
> bunch of other files, in the same dir, NOT containing "::" in their
> names that is not being complained about.
>
> What gives? It may be relevant that /e and /f are ext2 partitions that
> are mounted using the ext2fsd package.
>
> I do not think this is the "rsync unicode , file has vanished" problem
> that I have read about on the web, since :: is not unicode.
>
> Does anyone want to suggest a way to get around this? I think since
> ls exhibits the same problem it should not be rsync's fault, but it may
> possibly relate to ext2fsd rather than cygwin.

You're certainly adding some interesting variables with ext2fsd involved,
particularly when it comes to permissions.  But in this case, ':' is a
special character in Windows so you're going to see trouble regardless
of your underlying file-system and driver.  The moral of the story is
don't try to do things on Windows that it's not good at. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746