FW: can't access c: drive in cygwin

Wed Jan 16 17:55:00 GMT 2008

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU>  Reformatting.

Shaun Smiley wrote:
> [...]
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR> Thanks.

>> Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 7:12 AM
>> To: cygwin <AT> cygwin <DOT> com
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR> Thanks.

>> Subject: Re: can't access c: drive in cygwin
>>
>> Shaun Smiley wrote:
>>> Cygwin has stopped accessing the C: drive like it used to.  When I open
>>> cygwin bash, I can access \cygdrive\c\documents and settings\shaun  just
>>> fine.  But, there should be a lot more folders and files under \cygdrive.
>>> In fact, that particular folder is the only thing that comes up.  No other
>>> files or folders appear.  I tried reinstalling cygwin, but it seems that
>>> there are some saved settings somewhere, as it's still behaving the same.
>>
>> Please read and follow the problem reporting guidelines given at the link
>> referenced below:
>>
>>> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>>

 > The thing is, I know it worked before.  I am actually using
 > /cygdrive/c
 > As that's what appears as default in bash.  I previously put \cygdrive\c out
 > of habit.
 > Something has changed though.  I think I may have been trying to change a
 > setting a while back, not realizing that I was breaking it.  I essentially
 > just need to know how to reset Cygwin settings back to defaults(the way
 > everything was when I installed it) so that I could get bash to access my
 > harddrive(via cygdrive) again.  I am unable to find this information
 > anywhere, however.

The problem I have in answering your inquiry is that it proceeds from a
false assumption.  Cygwin does not hide things it finds in the file system.
If the directory and files exist in a particular directory and are
accessible, they will be visible and accessible from Cygwin.  But without
knowing more about your configuration, I can only guess as to what your
problems might be (which is why I was directing you to
<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>).  My WAG is that your '/etc/passwd' and
'/etc/group' files are invalid.  You can regenerate them with 'mkpasswd'
and 'mkgroup'.  See:

<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mkgroup>
<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mkpasswd>

for details on their usage.  If that doesn't work, you can try setting
'nontsec' in your CYGWIN environment variable.  See:

<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html>

Holliston, MA 01746