How to use encrypted folder (or filesystem)

Brian Mathis brian.mathis@gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 19:13:00 GMT 2008

On Jan 9, 2008 10:11 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin)
<reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:
> CABROL PERALES Alexandre wrote:
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > i'm using Cygwin Easy version on an usb disk.
>
> This is really a question that is more appropriately directed towards the
> maintainers of "Cygwin Easy", since that's a separate project and anything
> we might say here may not be appropriate for "Cygwin Easy".   That said...
>
> > I would like to kow if we can use encrypted FileSystem or folder with
> > cygwin.
> >
> > e.g.:
> > mount -t vfat info.img info/ -oencrypted=aes128
> >
> > or another way.
>
> Cygwin is not Linux (or Unix or BSD or....)  It has no file-system drivers
> and relies on Windows to provide file access.  Translation - you cannot
> mount a file system with Cygwin like you show above.  Cygwin's mount is
> not too much more than a mapping of Windows-style paths to POSIX ones.
>
> > Purpose:
> > be able to use mobile cygwin with an encrypted device (partition,
> > folder, fs image) without have to alter hoster system (no modifications
> > on the operating system, even on c: drive).
> >
> > Do you have any idea?
>
> In general, if you can do it with Windows, you should be able to do it
> with Cygwin and that may translate into being able to do it with "Cygwin
> Easy".  But to do it with Windows means you need an NTFS file system on
> your USB disk.  If that's a problem for you, then I believe you have
> provided the answer to yourself. ;-)
>
> --
> Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
> RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
> 216 Dalton Rd.                          (508) 893-9889 - FAX
> Holliston, MA 01746

Though not part of cygwin, truecrypt is an excellent and open source
utility that will allow you to make and encrypted disk.  Then you can
install whatever you like on it.

http://www.truecrypt.org/