Testing gcc 4.2.3

David Arnstein arnstein@pobox.com
Tue Feb 26 18:55:00 GMT 2008

I downloaded gcc-4.2.3.tar.bz2 from Free Software Foundation and built
it under Cygwin in a rxvt window:
	mkdir gccobj
	cd gccobj
	../gcc-4.2.3/configure
	make

Then I ran the test suite:
	time make -k check

This process generated many stack dumps. There were also test suite
failures, not surprising in light of the stack dumps. Finally, my
Windows Application Event Log filled with error messages from Cygwin.

I have attached

1. logmessages.txt
The last four error messages from my Windows Application Event Log

2. cygcheck.out
Output from cygcheck -s -v -r. I rebooted my peecee before doing this.

I have saved all the output from "make -k check." In particular, I could
send .log or .sum files, but these large files will be rejected by the
mailer at cygwin.com. I could use yousendit.com or whatever.

I suspect that the failures were due to bash running out of resources,
what do you think?

I would like to know why gcc 4.2.3 is not included in the standard
cygwin distribution. Perhaps the problems I am seeing are not limited to
my peecee?