Grace distribution is not standard

Volker Quetschke quetschke@scytek.de
Mon Feb 25 09:03:00 GMT 2008

Rodrigo Medina wrote:
> Hi,
> Unlike the distributions of all other packages the distribution
>  of grace does not put the executable program in one of the standard
>  directories /bin or /usr/X11R6/bin. Instead it puts xmgrace.exe inside
>  /usr/share/grace/bin. In /bin there are only links pointing to the
>  actual .exe.

Well, then don't use the links from non-cygwin programs, use the
executable directly. Or is your actual complain that by putting
c:\cygwin\bin in the system PATH you cannot execute grace?
Well, drop a batch file in there that calls xmgrace.exe

> The problem is that non-cygwin programs do not understand
>  such links.

So, sorry, but no. This is the way the grace developers created their
package. This works fine within a cygwin environment and I don't see
a reason to change that.

> I think that the grace distribution should be like those of all other
> cygwin programs.

It is, a package from the unixy world can run on Windows using the
*emulation* layer provided by cygwin. Softlinks are part of the
emulation and as such not working for non-cygwin programs.