running cygcheck...empty packages?

Linda Walsh cygwin@tlinx.org
Sun Feb 24 06:12:00 GMT 2008

Greetings Cygwinians,

Was notice what appeared to be 'old' versions of some files laying
around, so wanted to verify packages -- "cygcheck -c"

It pops up some packages that are empty.  I was wondering both why
I downloaded them (?!) and whether or not I needed them.  Some look
"important", others...not so sure...  Not a long list, some I know
"should" be able to delete without causing myself undue pain, but
'gcc' and 'gcc-mingw' sorta bother me.  If I delete those would my
gcc installations still be happy?   Package 'clear' makes sense that
it is clear of any files...*cough*...not really sure why it's there.

I'm not entirely sure where cygcheck is getting its package list, since
I don't see any files in /etc/setup with names like "gcc.lst.gz".

Are these "empty" packages of use?

atk-runtime
clear
gcc