Success in accessing network shares on windows through sshd

Thu Feb 21 04:17:00 GMT 2008

Jani Saksa wrote:
> Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>> Currently, the way to get what you want is to ssh in with password
>> authentication.  That way, Windows knows who you are and that you are
>> allowed access to network shares.  When you ssh in with pubkey
>> authentication, you are not authenticated through Windows but
>> rather the user running the sshd service.  So you don't have access
>> to your mapped network drives (automatically) since Windows doesn't
>> recognize you as you.  The fact that you can have a screen session that
>> was started locally (as you) on that remote machine and then reconnect to
>> that session when you log in with pubkey ssh in no way means that ssh now
>> understands you as you.  It just means you've connected up to a local
>> instance of screen started by a fully authenticated session.  This is
>> doing
>> nothing more than ssh with password authentication but with added user
>> hassle, since they need to be co-located with the remote machine so that
>> they can start up an authenticated screen session to leverage from their
>> ssh (pubkey or not) session.  I don't see that as a better option than
>> just
>> sshing in with password authentication and skipping all the extra
>> effort of
>> creating a local session of screen first.
>
> Hmm, this sounds weird because I did connect with password
> authentication, not with pubkey but was not able to see the one share
> that needed authentication to be mapped (but I did see all public shares
> - as it should be, right?). I wonder then why did I not see that
> non-public share by just logging on ssh with password, huh?

I can see everything  with 'net use' through ssh with password
authentication.  I still need to "remap" the drive I've mapped it
to, if that's what I want to use.  Perhaps if you're still having
problems and can't figure it out, it's time to start over and send
the list a clear set of steps that you take and the results you
see.  Then perhaps I or others on the list can see your problem
and offer a solution.

Holliston, MA 01746