Stop Brute Force Attack on SSH

René Berber r.berber@computer.org
Mon Feb 18 09:49:00 GMT 2008

Kyle A. Dawson wrote:

> Sorry, my mistake.  I created a script, and the file had windows new
> lines... I always forget that with TextPad.  But I did read the readme and
> now I have these files:
>
> denyhosts.cfg
> daemon-control
>
> So the install/config seem to work.
>
> When I start this I get error (/var/log/denyhost.log):
>

> DenyHosts could not obtain lock (pid: )
> [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/lock/subsys/denyhosts'

Correct, this directory doesn't exist in a stock Cygwin install.

 From your other message I see you changed DENYHOSTS_LOCK, to follow the
standard I use:

DENYHOSTS_LOCK  = "/var/run/denyhosts.pid"

This file name has to match the one used installing the service (the
option -x).

> starting DenyHosts:    /usr/bin/env python /usr/bin/denyhosts.py --daemon
> --config=/usr/share/denyhosts/denyhosts.cfg
>

> The service will not start, just the above message in log.
>
> Here is what I run
> cygrunsrv -I DenyHosts -p /usr/share/denyhosts/daemon-control -a start  -d
> DenyHosts -f "DenyHosts 2.6"  -y sshd -x /var/run/denyhosts.pid -o
> cygrunsrv -S DenyHosts
>

> I removed the \ in the "-a start option", it did not like that.  Is it
> needed?

No, it was a line continuation for the long command (bash interprets
those backslashes).
--
René Berber