sshd.log /var/empty must be owned by root and not group or world-writable.

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Mon Feb 18 07:03:00 GMT 2008

Brian Dessent wrote:

> I don't know why running ssh-host-config didn't work, you'd probably
> have to debug that a little more to find out.

It just occured that perhaps /var/empty did not exist the first time
ssh-host-config was run and thus the chown failed, and it was only
created when the sshd tried to start and failed.  If that's the case
then simply having ssh-host-config ensure that the directory exists
before setting ownership seems like the right thing.

Brian