Windows System Variable with SSH

Fri Feb 15 22:40:00 GMT 2008

dnbphysicist wrote:
> We have an open ssh client installed on one of our Windows 2003 servers, and
> are able to login in and everything, but when issuing commands some the
> System Paths (which are in .bat files on the server) such as %JAVA_HOME% are
> not recognized. I assume this is because Cygwin does not know how to
> interpret the % signs. Is there anyway to get Cygwin to recognize the system
> variables with the % signs around them.

If you're logging in through Cygwin's ssh, you'll get a Cygwin shell by
default (bash).  Cygwin shells use *nix syntax.  You can access any
available environment variable using the proper syntax.  In the case of
JAVA_HOME, $JAVA_HOME should work.  If for some reason you need to log
in using a Windows/DOS shell, you can replace '/bin/bash' with the POSIX
path to the shell you want (cmd.exe?).  Then you can use the %JAVA_HOME%
syntax.  Keep in mind, if you're using Java for Windows, it will not
understand the POSIX paths that Cygwin uses/prefers.  I don't know if
that's an issue for you in this case but since you mentioned Java, I
thought I should bring that up.

Holliston, MA 01746