Threading issue in cygwin python 2.5.1-2 ?

Jim Kleckner jek-cygwin2@kleckner.net
Mon Feb 11 23:46:00 GMT 2008

Jim Kleckner wrote:
> Dave Korn wrote:
>> On 26 January 2008 02:27, Jim Kleckner wrote:

>>   The two testcases I found in those threads (attached) both WJFFM under
>> cygwin 1.5.25-7 but fail under 1.5.23-2.  If you can reproduce that
>> and your
>> program still fails, it's probably a different issue.
>>

> Thanks for giving that a try, Dave.
>
> I restored 1.5.25-7 and confirmed that test_wait4 succeeds standalone.
> Note that the test_wait4 test fails when run with:
>    python testall.py >& testall.out
> Note that it does make a difference if output is redirected.
> If you type:
>    python testall.py
> then it hangs at the point of testing threads:
>    *** Changing thread stack size ***
>    caught expected ValueError setting stack_size(4096)
>    successfully set stack_size(262144)
>    successfully set stack_size(1048576)
>    successfully set stack_size(0)
>    trying stack_size = 262144
>    creating task 1
>
> Note the message from the test output that "verbose mode"
> can influence the results:
>  CAUTION:  stdout isn't compared in verbose mode:
>  a test that passes in verbose mode may fail without it.
>
> I would be curious if you also can reproduce this behavior.

Would someone mind trying the following to see if you get the same behavior?
 cd /usr/lib/python2.5/test
 python testall.py
Observe that it hangs at "creating task 1".

And (using bash):
 cd /usr/lib/python2.5/test
 python testall.py >& testall.out
and observe that test_wait4 fails.