Incomplete environ when running MinGW apps?

Paul Leder sa212+mingw@cyconix.com
Thu Feb 7 20:03:00 GMT 2008

Dave Korn wrote:

>   Out of curiosity, what's the problem with just using system("...") always?

I can't, because I need to redirect child I/O onto a socket, which
requires CreateProcess. The Unix code is (relatively) easy, but it's a
complete nightmare in Windoze. You have to use pipes as well as sockets,
it has to be multi-threaded, select doesn't work, and so on.

I can use 'system' occasionally, but then I have the issues of
forward/backslashes, extra backslashes, quotes, and so on. I haven't
really got to the bottom of this. With CreateProcess I at least have the
option to use /bin/sh, if it exists, which makes life a little easier
(particularly for quote characters).

-Paul