[1.7] Installation fails to create fstab correctly on Server 2003

Robert Pendell shinji@elite-systems.org
Sat Dec 27 23:33:00 GMT 2008

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 03:57:35AM -0500, Robert Pendell wrote:
>> I have attempted to install Cygwin on Server 2003 and it seems to fail
>> due to an improperly created /etc/fstab file.  I have the errors created
>> during the initial load, the fstab contents (minus comments) and the
>> cygcheck.out file as required for error reporting.  I'll wipe out and
>> check to see if the incomplete fstab file is the cause of all the errors
>> and issues that occur.  It may also happen that adding C:\cygwin\bin
>> will 'resolve' the issue.  Doubtful but I'll have it there as well for
>> the upcoming checks.  I had added it before doing the cygcheck just so
>> that it would find some of the utilities.  Oh and the first couple of
>> lines from the first load issue also repeat themselves in the cygcheck
>> output.
>>
>> initial run first load:
>>      3 [main] bash 3500 read_flags: invalid fstab option - '0'
>>    462 [main] bash 3500 read_flags: invalid fstab option - '0'
>> Copying skeleton files.
>> These files are for the user to personalise
>> their cygwin experience.
>>
>> These will never be overwritten.
>>
>> bash: /usr/bin/install: No such file or directory
>> bash: /usr/bin/install: No such file or directory
>> bash: /usr/bin/install: No such file or directory
>> bash: /usr/bin/tr: No such file or directory
>> bash: /usr/bin/sed: No such file or directory
>>

>> /etc/fstab:
>> /bin /usr/bin  binary 0 0
>> /lib /usr/lib  binary 0 0
>
> That *is* an incorrect fstab file.  Please send (attached) cygcheck
> output as per: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>
> If you can send the output from cygwin 1.5 that would be useful
> too.

I did attach it before but I'll do it again.  Sorry for not specifying
the cygwin version before.  I also attached a cygcheck from 1.5 as
requested but it actually seemed to install fine.  Both are default
installs.  One thing I did find that is that if I corrected the
/etc/fstab file before the first run then it would load up ok.
Afterwards I had setup reinstall all the packages and all the setup
scripts seemed to go through ok.

--
Robert Pendell
shinji@elite-systems.org