Named pipes (blocking problem)

John Emmas johne53@tiscali.co.uk
Mon Dec 22 19:05:00 GMT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Faylor"
Sent: 22 December 2008 18:41
Subject: Re: Named pipes (blocking problem)

> Cygwin tries to emulate linux/POSIX.  CreateNamedPipe is not a
> linux/POSIX function.  Cygwin does not implement Windows functions.  So,
> no, Cygwin does not implement its own versions of CreateNamedPipe or
> ReadFile.
>
> As I suggested, if you want to build a pure Windows program, you
> shouldn't be using Cygwin.  Use MinGW instead - http://mingw.org/ .

Thanks for the clarification.  As it happens, the program is jackdmp for
which (I believe) MinGW binaries are available.  However, in this case, my
client apps would be Cygwin programs.

Can Cygwin's compiler successfully cross-link to MinGW binaries (libs)?
I've never tried although I've occasionally tried to cross-link a Cygwin
executable to a lib compiled using Visual C++.  The results have tended to
be very hit-and-miss.  The link seemed to work okay but the resulting app
would often misbehave (e.g. at run time, Windows might complain that the
procedure entry point for one or more functions couldn't be found).

John