How to force sftp to expect a password from the keyboard in the batch mode

Sun Dec 21 19:10:00 GMT 2008

Alexander M. Batishchev wrote:
> Hello!
> I'm using Cygwin latest under WinXP and trying to upload some files to
> sourceforge.net using sftp.
> In interactive, non-batch mode everything works fine:
>
> $ sftp user@frs.sourceforge.net
> Connecting to frs.sourceforge.net...
> user@frs.sourceforge.net's password:
> sftp>
>
> but in the batch mode it doesn't asks a password and doesn't logins:
>
> $ cat batch
> cd uploads
> $ sftp -b batch user@frs.sourceforge.net
> Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).
> Connection closed
>
> What am I doing wrong?
> Is it possible to force sftp to expect a password from the keyboard in the
> batch mode? It's impossible to me to keep the password into the batch file,
> unfortunately.

Not knowing much about 'sftp' myself, I took a look at the man page.
Here's what it says:

     -b batchfile
              Batch mode reads a series of commands from an input batchfile
              instead of stdin.  Since it lacks user interaction it should be
              used in conjunction with non-interactive authentication.

This suggests to me that you want to set up sftp to work with public
key authentication.  You can look at the man page for 'sshd' and
'sshd_config' for more information on that and at 'ssh-user-config'
for some examples of how to create keys.

Holliston, MA 01746