FAQ on installing a build from source ?

fred zfred@bigpond.com
Sat Dec 20 07:31:00 GMT 2008

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> fred wrote:
>> Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

>>> So you missed this
>>>
>>> <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.programming.building-cygwin>
>>>

>>> from here

>>> ?
>>>
>>> My WAG is that you're building in the source directory which, as the
>>> says, is a no-no.
>>>
>> ok thanks, but what your saying is that still up to date ?
>
> Yes.
>
>> I mean configure generated a subdirectory .\i686-pc-cygwin, and make
>> put all the object files and build under that
>
> Sorry, I don't grok the above.

Sorry, don't understand your reply here?

>> and whats the cygwin0.dll ???
>
> That's what you built.  It's used for testing/debugging since you need
> 2 DLLs in these situations.

I know I built it, just don't know what to do with it and how it fits in

>> oh, i've now noticed a file   winsup\cygwin\new-cygwin1.dll,
>
> Yep.
>
>> I GUESS this should be copied to /bin/cygwin1.dll.
>>
>> too much guesswork.......
>
> If you say so.
>
>> though my make check isn't successfull,
>>
>> Huh?  No /etc/fstab file in
>> \??\C:\cygwin\usr\local\etc\fstab.d\admin?  Using de
>> fault root and cygdrive prefix...
>> cc1: ../../.././winsup/testsuite/libltp/lib/dataascii.c: No such file
>> or directo
>> ry
>> make: *** [dataascii.o] Error 1
>>
>> my /etc doesn't have an fstab file,  shouldn't the cygwin setup have
>> done that?
>
> Yes if you installed Cygwin 1.7:
>
> <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2008-12/msg00225.html>
>
> If you installed 1.5, then no.  Remember, snapshots are always the
> current
> development version and in this case, there are allot of differences (by
> design) between 1.5 and 1.7.

This is an old cygwin install, but I have been re-running the setup, so
$ uname -v
2008-06-12 19:34

sounds like one must actually uninstall and start again....
>> admin@FRED4
>> ~/src/cygwin-snapshot-20081214-1/i686-pc-cygwin/winsup/testsuite
>> $ mount
>> Huh?  No /etc/fstab file in
>> \??\C:\cygwin\usr\local\etc\fstab.d\admin?  Using de
>> fault root and cygdrive prefix...
>> C:/cygwin/usr/local on / type unknown (binary)
>> C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount)
>
> Same as above.

hey,thanks for the replies, I needed a break, 40 laps of the pool, now
i'm back.