FAQ on installing a build from source ?

Sat Dec 20 05:18:00 GMT 2008

fred wrote:
> Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>> fred wrote:
>>> I assume  $make install
>>>
>>> ok? but something gone wrong,
>>> so manually what is supposed to get copied where ?
>>>
>>> dir \i686-pc-cygwin\winsup\cygwin
>>> has a cygwin0.dll,
>>>
>>> I thought there is supposed to be a cygwin1.dll.................
>>>
>>> I thought surely there is a FAQ on this ? haven;t found it though
>>
>> So you missed this
>>
>> <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.programming.building-cygwin>
>>
>> from here
>>
>>> FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
>>
>> ?
>>
>> My WAG is that you're building in the source directory which, as the FAQ
>> says, is a no-no.
>>
> ok thanks, but what your saying is that still up to date ?

Yes.

> I mean configure generated a subdirectory .\i686-pc-cygwin, and make put
> all the object files and build under that

Sorry, I don't grok the above.

> and whats the cygwin0.dll ???

That's what you built.  It's used for testing/debugging since you need
2 DLLs in these situations.

> oh, i've now noticed a file   winsup\cygwin\new-cygwin1.dll,

Yep.

> I GUESS this should be copied to /bin/cygwin1.dll.
>
> too much guesswork.......

If you say so.

> though my make check isn't successfull,
>
> Huh?  No /etc/fstab file in \??\C:\cygwin\usr\local\etc\fstab.d\admin?
> Using de
> fault root and cygdrive prefix...
> cc1: ../../.././winsup/testsuite/libltp/lib/dataascii.c: No such file or
> directo
> ry
> make: *** [dataascii.o] Error 1
>
> my /etc doesn't have an fstab file,  shouldn't the cygwin setup have
> done that?

Yes if you installed Cygwin 1.7:

<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2008-12/msg00225.html>

If you installed 1.5, then no.  Remember, snapshots are always the current
development version and in this case, there are allot of differences (by
design) between 1.5 and 1.7.

> admin@FRED4
> ~/src/cygwin-snapshot-20081214-1/i686-pc-cygwin/winsup/testsuite
> $ mount
> Huh?  No /etc/fstab file in \??\C:\cygwin\usr\local\etc\fstab.d\admin?
> Using de
> fault root and cygdrive prefix...
> C:/cygwin/usr/local on / type unknown (binary)
> C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount)

Same as above.

Holliston, MA 01746