Printing to network printers

Steve Rainbird steve.rainbird@mssint.com
Tue Dec 16 22:07:00 GMT 2008

"Larry Hall (Cygwin)" <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote in message
news:4947D2A9.3060505@cygwin.com...
> Steve Rainbird wrote:
>> How can I print to a network printer?
>>
>> I know if its attached to a server I can say
>>
>> lpr -d //server/printer file
>>

>> But what do I do if the printer isn't attached to a server and is just a
>> printer on the network?
>
> So it's connected to the network with what, some kind of print server?
> If so and assuming the print server allows you to descibe the printer as
> a samba share, then the //<printer server name>/<printer share name>
> syntax may work.  An IP address may be used in place of
> <printer server name> too.  If not, you need to configure the printer
> through Windows as a network TCP/IP printer and then access it as you
> would a local printer.
>

> --
> Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
> RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
> 216 Dalton Rd.                          (508) 893-9889 - FAX
> Holliston, MA 01746

> A: Yes.
> > Q: Are you sure?
> >> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.

I have configured the printer in windows and printed the file to it using
notepad.

In the event viewer it says

Document 13, \cobol\prints\PRINT.BALANCES.20081203083027 owned by
steve.rainbird was printed on IAS_HP4PBN_A via port IP_10.26.5.11.  Size in
bytes: 274872; pages printed: 2

When I print the same file using enscript I get

Document 14, stdin owned by steve.rainbird was printed on IAS_HP4PBN_A via
port IP_10.26.5.11.  Size in bytes: 21499; pages printed: 0

For some reason its not printing anything.

--
Steve