Cygwin 1.7 domains and home directories

John Morrison john@morrison.mine.nu
Tue Dec 16 18:07:00 GMT 2008

On Tue, December 16, 2008 4:06 pm, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Dec 16 12:25, John Morrison wrote:
>> On Tue, December 16, 2008 12:09 pm, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> > So far I'm not able to reproduce this.  Every time I reboot, the shell
>> > comes up just fine.
>> >
>> > For testing purposes I created an /etc/group file of >28000 entries.
>> > I also switched my home directory by adding a fstab entry along the
>> lines
>> > of "D:/home/corinna --> /home/corinna", but to no avail.
>> >
>> > I tested this on a Vista machine which is domain member of a 2K8
>> domain
>> > with a domain admin account with UAC enabled.
>> >
>> > I'll try later again on an XP machine.
>>
>> XP sp2
>
> No go either.  I rebooted multiple times and every time it was fine
> passwd/group-wise.
>
>> > Is your account an admin account or a normal user account?  I don't
>> > know but maybe that makes some difference.
>>
>> I have local admin rights (ie, only on this machine), but it's a domain
>> account (hope that makes sense).
>
> It does.  I tried with an admin account which is also Domain Admin and I
> tried with a non-admin account which is just member of Domain Users and
> some other plain group.
>
>> > Maybe that goes without saying, but somebody actually debugging this
>> > who can reproduce this behaviour would be a great help...
>>
>> I've altered the cygwin.bat file changing
>>
>> bash --login -i

>> strace -o c:\strace.txt bash --login -i
>>
>> but I've yet to reproduce it since I made the modification :(  (and even
>> if it did, I wouldn't know what to look for in the 11MB+ trace!)
>
> You don't have to.  If it occurs under strace, I can take a look.  Maybe
> we have to add additional debug output, though.

I'll keep trying it, but I've only seen it at work and I can't keep
rebooting!  I've got to do *some* work ;)

I'm *sure* I've seen it without having to reboot.  Are you planning
another release of the dll soon(ish)?  Does cygwin do anything if/when it
detects that the dll has changed?  I've tried 'touch'ing it, that didn't
trigger anything.

J.